Do I need a visa in Malta?

As an EU member, Malta’s requirements on visas fall in line with EU policy. Malta is also a member of Scenghen. The Schengen area includes the territory of the following 26 European Union countries and associated countries: Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and Liechtenstein. Bulgaria, Cyprus, Ireland, Romania and the United Kingdom still do not participate in the Schengen cooperation.

Non-EU nationals who do not possess a Schengen Visa are required to apply for one unless they are exempt from said requirement. For information on entry visa requirements, contact the nearest Malta Embassy. For a complete list of Malta’s Diplomatic Missions abroad, you may visit the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Do I need an Employment Licence to work in Malta?

The need for an Employment Licence derives from the Immigration Act (Cap217) which regulates the entry and permanence in Malta of non-Maltese citizens.

At present with the exception of citizens from the EEA/Switzerland and their third country nationals family members or other family members, all foreign nations require authorisation to work in Malta. Employment licenses are needed in respect of persons who enjoy long-term residence status. These licenses are not subject to labour market considerations.

In the case of citizens from outside the EEA/Switzerland, applications for an employment licence or Single Permit applications are, generally, subject to labour market considerations. Such authorisation is not automatic and is only granted where EEA/Swiss nationals cannot be identified for the position in question.

What documents must accompany the application for a work permit?

The application form must be accompanied by:

  • Application Form
  • Curriculum Vitae
  • Position Description
  • References/testimonials
  • One passport photo
  • Copy of a travel document
  • Copy of a valid visa (if third country national is in Malta)
  • Copy of qualification certificates and accreditation/recognition
  • Covering letter by employer indicating site of work
  • Evidence of search for EEA/Swiss/Maltese nationals though a detailed vacancy report
  • Fee
Are indefinite work permits available?

The normal duration of an employment license is 12 months thought there may be some exceptions

Can I buy property in Malta?

With EU accession, buying property in Malta has become simpler. Non-residents who are also EU nationals can buy a primary residence or place of business in Malta. They can also buy a secondary residence as long as that residence is intended for their own personal use. However, there are some restrictions on minimum values, which are adjusted in line with the immovable property price index. There are also “Special Designated Areas” where non residents may purchase unlimited amount of properties for speculation purposes or as rental properties.